• FAQs

    What training do I need to do to become a pilot?

    There are different pathways that you can follow to become a pilot they are the:

    Each pathway offers different features and you can get more information on the pathways on our website.

    To enrol into a Program with CAE OAA, please visit http://coaa.rtomanager.com.au to start your application.

    How much does it cost to complete my training?

    This really depends on your choice of pathway and what level of licence that you want to achieve. The total cost will also depend on how quickly you can learn and achieve competency at the various stages of your training. Most flight training organsiations will give you a price based on the minimum hours required to achieve a licence or rating, however the average student will always require additional flying hours to achieve the required level of competency. You should always budget on needing an additional 10 to 15% more time (and cost) than the minimum hours or costs stated.

    As a guide only you should be prepared to pay the following to achieve a:

    • PPL = approx $23,000 – $25,000
    • CPL = PPL + approx $27,000 – $29,000
    • MECIR = PPL + CPL + approx $36,000 – $38,000

    You should also be prepared to pay additional costs for books, equipment, exam fees etc

    How long will it take to complete my training?

    The University pathway will take three years to complete your flight training. You will complete with, not only your flight crew licencing up to a CPL and frozen ATPL, but also a recognised degree.

    If you are following the University Pathway it will take you 3 years to complete your flying training but the University pathway also gives you an MCC/JOC course and you full ATPL theory subjects and your Degree of course.

    If you are on an airline cadetship program it will take you approx. 18 months to complete your program which will then follow through to the airline after completion for specific aircraft type rating.

    Can I learn to fly on a part time basis?

    Our integrated programs are only open to full-time students. You will be required to participate in full-time study and full-time flight training.

    What aircraft do you use in your training programs?

    Your initial flight training commences in our fleet of Cessna 172’s which are all equipped with Garmin 1000 flight instruments (computer based instruments similar to airline jets). At later stages of your training you will fly the Decathlon 8KCAB aerobatic aircraft to complete upset recovery training, and if you want to complete a Multi engine endorsement you will fly the Piper PA44 Seminole.

    When can I start training with you?

    Generally speaking, our Bachelor of Aviation course commences once each year in late February or early March.

    We reserve the right not to run all or part of the program if the number of students enrolled falls below a minimum number. Note: these are full-time courses and they cannot be taken on a part-time basis.

    Is there an entry test or an interview process?

    Applicants for our University and Airline Cadet pathways are required to complete the ADAPT Skills Assessment Test (SAT) as part of the screening process for being accepted into these courses. The SAT assesses a range of natural skills and abilities that are required to be a pilot.

    How do I apply for one of your programs?

    If you have all the information and documentation you need to enrol into one of our programs, please visit http://coaa.rtomanager.com.au to start your application.

    It is essential that you obtain all relevant documentation before you submit the application form online, incomplete applications will not be considered. Please ensure that you record your Application Reference ID for future use with enquiries.

    I am thinking about becoming a pilot but I am not sure if I will like flying in a small plane , what should I do?

    We highly recommend that anybody who is thinking about spending a lot of money on learning to fly undertakes a trial flight as the first step. A Trial Introductory Flight (TIF) allows you to 'try before you buy', this is a great way to get an idea of what it is like to be a pilot. A TIF costs $99 and consists of a 40 minute session with an experienced instructor. During a TIF you will get the opportunity to control the aircraft and get a feel for flying. You can also ask any questions you may have about flight training.

    A TIF begins with a briefing by your instructor on what to expect during the flight and how to control the airplane. You will then take a short flight in the local area during which time you will experience some 'hands on' flying and on completion of the flight your instructor will give you a de-brief and enter this first flight into your log book as a TIF.

    We also offer a very popular alternative to a TIF where you can undertake a full flight training lesson where you will receive accredited training (that will count towards your PPL) rather than just basic information that you would get during a TIF. This is the first lesson in the PPL syllabus called - Effects of Controls (EOC). This 2 hour session is conducted by an experienced instructor and includes briefing and debriefing time and a 60 minute flying lesson. This session is charged at our commercial published rate which is $420 plus GST (as at 20 June 2013). Should you decide to pursue your flight training further it is a great idea to purchase a logbook at this time so this lesson can be listed as your first official flight.

    How do I book a TIF or an EOC?

    You can purchase a TIF or an EOC in person or over the phone. You will be required to make payment to CAE OAA via cash, cheque, debit card or credit card (a 2% surcharge applies to credit cards). If you are under the age of 18, please make arrangements with your guardian.

    On receipt of payment we will issue you with a Gift Certificate (sent via email for phone bookings). You can use your Gift Certificate to make a booking for your session. To make a booking please contact our dispatch desk on (8587 3900) to arrange the flight, they operate 7 days week, Monday to Friday 0800 – 1800, Saturday to Sunday 0830 - 1800.

    Please remember to print out your gift certificate and bring it with you on the day of flight as a proof of purchase. If weather becomes an issue preventing the flight from going ahead, the flight will be re-scheduled with you at a suitable time subject to aircraft and instructor availability.

    Do you offer accommodation for students?

    Swinburne University of Technology (SUT) accommodation is situated on the Hawthorn Campus which is a 30 minute drive to Moorabbin Airport, public transport is also available. Details of accommodation offered by Swinburne are located at the webpage link provided below. You will need to contact Swinburne directly for further information.


    I would like to know what training I will require if I wish to join an airline as a First Officer, and progress to the position of Captain.

    It can be a long journey to a job as a pilot with a commercial airline, however all of our programs are designed to get you started on your journey.

    All of our integrated programs start with a Private Pilot Licence (PPL), and then lead on to a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) with a Multi-Engine Endorsement. This is an approved Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Integrated 150 hours Commercial Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) Program. Students who complete this training have the pre-requisite knowledge required to gain employment within the aviation industry. However, to gain a job in a commercial airline you will need additional qualifications and ratings.

    After obtaining your CASA CPL(A) you can continue your training by undertaking a Command Instrument Rating (CIR), which will give you instrument flying skills that are a pre-requisite for employment within an airline. It is also beneficial to undertake a Multi Crew Cooperation course (MCC) where you will receive training in a multi crew cockpit environment. You will also require an Air Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) which is a Ground Theory Program that will give a “frozen” licence until you achieve sufficient flying hours to gain the full ATPL.

    Depending on the country and airline you wish to initiate your career in, you will need to research into its specific regulating body and the airline(s) for their requirements and minimum flight hours for employment.

    For information on employment regulations in Australia, please visit http://australia.gov.au/topics/immigration/working-in-australia.

    I would like to follow your University Pathway. How do I do this?

    We partner with Swinburne University of Technology to deliver the only bachelor degree level flying course in Victoria.

    Swinburne offers a range of degree and double degree programs designed to take students with little or no flying experience and equip them with the knowledge, skills and attributes to operate a multi-crew jet aircraft.

    Students split their time between Swinburne and CAE Oxford Aviation Academy covering the academic units of their course at Hawthorn and completing flying theory and flying training at Moorabbin Airport.

    The program incorporates:

    • Private Pilot License
    • Commercial Pilot Licence
    • Multi Engine Command Instrument Rating
    • Aerobatics
    • Flight Instructor Rating or Multi Crew Cooperation and Jet Orientation Course
    • Frozen ATPL

    Applications for this program must be made directly with Swinburne University of Technology. Information on making an application for the Semester 1 intake can be made via the How to Apply page at SUT’s website..

    If you require more information on the degree you can refer to the link supplied below:
    SUT Aviation Homepage

    Will I know how much my training will cost before I commence?

    Usually, completion of training from no experience up to a CPL with MECIR with Frozen ATPL would cost approximately $91,000, which includes ground theory delivery. Books, uniform and CASA exams are an additional cost. As flight training is competency based this cost is variable and the final cost will vary dependent on the individual’s ability to achieve the required levels of competency as per the syllabus.

    We understand that some applicants may have previous flying experience and will be seeking to have this previous experience recognised. If you already have previous flying experience you may be able to have some or all of your flying hours recognised and credited towards your program. (This is called Recognition of Prior Learning or RPL).

    Please note that it is likely that not all of your experience or hours can be accredited under the CASA syllabus, and in certain circumstances you may need to repeat the training that you have already completed, which may increase your total course costs.

    I don’t have enough money to pay all of my fees upfront. Is there financing available? What are my options?

    Private flying training option is full fee paying, at this point CAE OAA does not offer financing to applicants. However a scheduled installment plan can be established upon request.

    Students undertaking the University Pathway or the Jetstar Cadetship may have access to government funding via the FEE-HELP scheme.

    What level of English will I need to be admitted to your courses?

    If you are an international student, before you can apply to enroll in a course with CAE OAA you must have obtained a pass in International English Language Tests System (IELTS) with a minimum overall score of 5.5.

  • Latest News


    New Commercial Pilot License (CPL) Training Program Launched with Air China


    New Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) Program Launched with EVA Air


    CAE partners with China Eastern Airlines for cadet training


    New Scholarship Program Launched in Melbourne

    View all news >